Friday, April 5, 2013

Sweet and Sour Chicken


We're doing a challenge here at the Workman house. We're trying to do our best to eat our way through my Pinterest boards before trying anything new. This also prevents us from eating out, and challenges my cooking skills. We take turns picking the meals, and this recipe was Bubba's pick.
(This is no shocker if you know the man.) 

What you'll need: 
3 chicken breasts
1 cup cornstarch
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil

Thaw your chicken breasts. Cut into small pieces. I found the original recipe called for one inch pieces, I did a tiny bit smaller and regretted it. Honestly, you could do it in big strips (think chicken fingers) and it probably would be all the same. Discard any fat. 

Dip the chicken breasts into the cornstarch. Coat well, dipping it on both sides.
I cut my pieces, tossed it all in the cornstarch and then shook it really well. This method was pretty quick, easy, and fairly mess-less.

In a separate bowl, beat your two eggs. Dip the chicken in the eggs after dipping it in the cornstarch. Add oil to a large skillet on stovetop and cook chicken well.  My chicken looked really egg-like during this step and I sincerely thought I messed up the recipe. Trust me on this one, keep going. You didn't mess it up.


Once cooked, place in a large baking sheet. Prepare your sauce mix. 

Mix 3/4 cups sugar, 4 tablespoons ketchup, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, and 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar. Stir well, and then pour over chicken. Stir chicken to coat all sides. If you have extra sauce, you did it right. (And I say that because it will sweeten while it cooks to make it PERFECT!)

Cook in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. Stir, and return to oven for 15 more minutes. Once cooked, remove from oven, let sit for a moment to soak up the sweetness. Add your favorite mix-in's as appropriate, carrots, celery, or pineapple. 

Enjoy! 


1 comment:

  1. this looks so good! I have yet to find a good sweet and sour chicken recipe that we love so I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete