Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Frito Casserole

I made the comment to my Oma the other day about Pinterest. I told her how much I loved it because I was finding TONS of recipes, and even though I wasn't taught how to cook, I was able to cook great meals for my family. Her response: all recipes are old recipes made new by bringing them back.

She then proceeded to go to her cupboard and pull out about 50 cookbooks, packaged them into grocery bags and gifted them to me. So naturally, I am on a Pinterest recipe break to try the recipes in the cookbooks.

This recipe was found in a BYU Ward Cookbook. No one in my family attended BYU. No one lived in Provo. We have no idea where it came from, but we have it!

Frito Casserole

What You'll Need:
1 lb Ground Beef
1 Can Corn
1 Can Black Beans
1 Small Can Tomato Sauce
1 Bag Frito's

How to do it:
Preheat Oven to 250 degrees. In a baking pan, spray cooking spray and then crumble Fritos onto the bottom, creating a layer of chips.

Brown beef in a skillet. Once cooked add tomato sauce and cook for another moment or two. If you opt to season your beef, use seasoned salt or salt and pepper.

Add corn, black beans (after rinsing them well in the can) and shredded cheese, then add entire mixture into baking pan. Add another layer of Frito's, then top with shredded cheese and sliced cheese. Bake for 30 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Dani,

    I came across this on Pinterest while trying to find a non-chili frito casserole.

    1) you forgot cheese in the ingredient list!!! :P

    2) I always season the hell out of my ground beef. I wanted to put some onion in but I didn't have one....so I used about a tablespoon of onion powder as well as a good dash of chili powder, paprika, and a slightly smaller dash of cumin.

    3) It came out a little dry for me, so next time I'll add more tomato sauce. I MIGHT try some cream cheese because it seems like it might lend itself to a creamier texture and that might be fun. ;)

    Thanks for the post! Put all together, everyone here loved it.

    ReplyDelete