Monday, October 14, 2013

Guest Post: Merelynne - PLANNING A DIY WEDDING WITH HELP

Hi!  It’s me, Meredith from over at merelynne. com.  I wanted to gush about my upcoming wedding.  Everytime I start talking about my November 2nd wedding my face lights up.  I absolutely cannot wait to marry my best friend and start our lives together.  I keep hearing from so many that our lives will change once we say “I do,” but I am having a hard time believing it.  We live together, pay bills together, and have two dogs together already.  I just do not know how a little piece of paper and a massive party will change us, but I guess we'll find out.


I always dreamed of my perfect wedding, just like most other girls out there that loved to be a bride for every. single. Halloween from the time you could remember or was that just me?  I imagined a fairytale wedding that looked vintage, casual and welcoming for friends.  Then I started looking on Pinterest for wedding ideas, which was great but still sooo bad at the same time.  I got overloaded with projects that I wanted to do and bring to life.

Here I was 9 months from the wedding date with an overwhelming cloud of ideas.  I had to pick the ones that meant the most, leave some to side and then get help.  I love, love the idea of a DIY wedding, but I am not afraid to pay someone else for that DIY feeling.  Here’s what I decided was important to me:

- if I was keeping it after the wedding then I wanted to make it or have someone I personally know make it; or
- if it was going to cost too much to buy it then I made it.

That’s it!  That was my conditions.  

With less than 2 months to go, here’s what we’ve made or will be making it as it gets closer:

- candy bar as our favors in our wedding colors (navy and eggplant);
- a wooden letter “R” covered in pearls for our cake table;
- a letter “R” covered in twine for the welcoming table that was made by one of my bridesmaid; and
- welcoming bags for out-of-town guests.

I love graphic design (and am an amatuer) and thought it would be therapeutic to design our own programs, menus, rehearsal invites, and thank you notes.  

Now, here’s what I paid for:

- banners for our chairs that say Mr. and Mrs. and with our wedding date from Etsy;
- our food and cake (I am not about to attempt to cook for 100 people, no thank you!);
- wedding coordinator to help me and everyone else stay on point on the big day;
- florists and linens that are designing gorgeous tables with mason jars filled with flowers for our centerpieces; and
- the best photographer that I could find in my area, I mean seriously him and his wife are geniuses.
I do not know about you or your friends if they were/are planning a wedding, but for me it made sense to DIY the projects that are important to me.  Now, my fiance really does not care as long as he has his infamous entrance song that he cannot wait for.  For me, I wanted easy.  I know that I stress easily and can become a little bit of a bear.  I kept a lot of things simple like letting my bridesmaids select their own dresses and hiring help.  

I have a lot of wedding tips and ideas over on my blog, merelynne.com and would love any more tips that I can get my hands on.  Right now we are juggling making sure we get our food selections in on time, RSVP counts finalized, and our vendors paid.  All of that is enough to make my head spin!

____

Isn't she the best? I just love Meredith and am so excited for her upcoming wedding AND to see all the photos and excitement from it! Congrats lady, and thanks for guest posting with us- we just love having you!

No comments:

Post a Comment