Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Only 3 Pieces of Advice You'll Ever Need


Have you met Dani over at Positively Present? She's fantastic and I am a HUGE fan of her blog (and her Pinterest Boards, Tweets, Facebook posts, I can't help it, I'm a fan girl). Well, needless to say I am SO EXCITED that she agreed to come by and guest post today for us! Please enjoy her post, check out her blog, and leave some love for her below!

~ * ~ * ~

Whether you've asked for it or not, you've probably received some advice in your life. I know I've heard my fair share of words of wisdom (some requested, others un-asked for). Generally speaking, I enjoy the guidance, the words of someone who knows (or seems to know) more about the subject than I do. Even on those occasions when the unsolicited advice reaches my ears, I'm usually pretty pleased to absorb the words.

Henry David Thoreau wrote, “I have lived some thirty years on this planet, and I have yet to hear the first syllable of valuable or even earnest advice from my seniors," but I have to respectfully disagree. Like it or not, some of the best I've been given has come from others who have lived longer than I have, who have seen enough to know what works and what doesn't in this crazy life. So I listen to their words. I take it in and hope that somehow I'll end up listen to it. 

Like many, I might like to take advice in, listening patiently, but I'm not always good at following advice. I'm very good at listening -- and at dishing it out -- but not so great at taking it. A few weeks ago though, a very wise woman offered me three phrases of wisdom to carry with me. She said, "Remember these three things: Take it one day at a time, ask for help, and don't ever give up."

Those three phrases stuck with me, and they now serve as daily reminders for me, helping me to live in the present and live positively. They offer me inspiration and provide me with the additional strength I need when I'm struggling to see the good around me, which, quite honestly, is something I continue to struggle with often. For me, these three phrases somehow sum up the best advice. There are so many things we can tell ourselves to make it through the tough times, but these are the words that have continued to get me through. Here's why...


 #1
Take one day at a time. Sounds simple, right? Not really... Try paying attention to how often you're thinking about what you did yesterday or what you're going to do tomorrow and you'll see that taking one day at a time is a lot easier said than done. Staying present and not stressing out about the future is hard -- but it's one of the best ways to live each day fully and as positively as possible. Whenever I find myself struggling to get a task done or whenever I start feeling overwhelmed about the future, I take a deep breath and say to myself, "Just one day at a time..."

#2
Ask for help if you need it. Think about all of the times you've felt completely overwhelmed or stressed out or upset about something. Did you ask for help? Most of us don't. We think we can handle everything on our own and, most of the time, we do okay. But I've learned that there's absolutely no harm in asking for help -- even if "help" is just a chat on the phone with a good friend. Sometimes it feels good to just talk about things and that's a form of asking for help. Next time you're struggling or stressed, reach out to other people. It really does make a difference when you ask for help. 


#3
Don't ever give up. 
This may be the most basic piece of advice, but it really is the most important. No matter what you're up against, no matter how many obstacles you face, no matter how many people tell you that you can't or shouldn't -- don't ever give up. It can be so hard not to sometimes, but reminding myself "Don't ever give up" has really worked. Whenever I feel like I don't want to keep going on something or some task is too hard to manage, I remind myself never to give up and it always gets me through. No matter what people say, no matter what you tell yourself, keep these four words in the forefront of your mind: Don't. Ever. Give. Up. 


Whenever I come across a tough spot in my life, whenever I trip and fall and have to struggle to get up again, I come back to these three things and, with them in mind, I always manage to dust myself off and keep going. Advice is easy to come by. Good advice is much harder to find. Whenever you're struggling I hope you think of these words and feel inspired to take it one day at time, ask for help, and never, ever to give up. 


Positively Present Bio

Dani launched PositivelyPresent.com in 2009 when she decided to turn her life around and start focusing on the positive while living in the present moment. Positively Present focuses on living positively in the present moment, and since its launch Dani’s personal development site as grown and it continues to touch lives around the world. Dani recently published her first book, Stay Positive: Daily Reminders from Positively Present. To learn more, visit StayPositive365.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment